Further, the Rename tool can be leveraged in many ways to engage your students in the digital live classroom. We asked professor Warren, who frequently uses this feature, about some of her in-class strategies:
“How much do you like talking in groups?”
I ALWAYS start Week 1 with this question. I put this on a scale of 1-10. Then I say, "9s and 10s, we're counting on you. If you don't unmute and talk, this is 90 minutes of lecture and that's boring. But 1s and 2s, please remember that you're paying the same amount for this class as the 9s and 10s. You need to make sure you're getting what you need to learn from the material and that you're able to 'earn' that participation grade." This launches me into how we use other Zoom features like polling, annotating, and chat bar private/public, all of which I run through with fun activities in week 1. Then I reference "the 1s and 2s" and "the 9s and 10s” the rest of the semester, as in "I want to hear from the 1s and 2s here... What questions do you have that you're not asking?" or "Okay 9s and 10s, you have to get us launched... What has been bothering you about the readings?"
Holidays: These are easy ones-- Name your favorite Valentine's Day/Halloween/Christmas candy or Name your favorite winter holiday food item.
Pick a topic: If we're going to go into breakout rooms and I want them to be able to pick which part of the jigsaw they're doing, I ask them to add it to their name (e.g., "Do you want to discuss the Ciucci Article or do you want to discuss the Arvedson article?" or "Would you rather discuss this topic from a pediatric or adult perspective?").
Ice breakers/getting to know you questions with 1-2 word answers such as:
What literary character do you resonate most with?
What superpower do you wish you had?
What is your favorite children's book?
What is your favorite season?
Exam review: Which number on the test was most challenging for you to answer/do you want to discuss? Then I can discuss the ones that students feel they need the most feedback on rather than guessing or even rather than having just the most outspoken person speak for the group.
Amanda Warren, MS, CCC-SLP is Associate Director, Program & Student Support for Speech@Emerson. She has taught at the undergraduate and graduate level in Speech-Language Pathology and creates online continuing education courses for SLPs as well. Regardless of what content she is teaching, she does so through the lens of wanting to bring up clinicians who are passionate about critical thinking.

Steps to Use the Rename Tool:
- Click on Participants icon from the Zoom menu bar.
- Hover over the name you'd like to change.
- Click Rename.
Further Resources:
- Managing Participants in Zoom
- Breakout Room & Report back Activities
- Suggested Questions for Student Engagement


Adding to other icebreaker activities using rename tool are: recap your weekend in three words or where are you tuning in from and how's the weather?
ReplyDelete